Wednesday, October 06, 2004

It's me. Hi. :)

I recall how much time I spent on the blog when I was at Mills. And how engaging that experience was--I think I have said somewhere that blogging could be a full time job for me. But now that I have a fulltime job, that thought becomes dreamy as it sounded. I think we should blog when we can. I'm missing it. And I missing Thursday nights too, Meg and everyone.

So far, I have been pressing myself a bit harder (when time allows) on the question of global English, something that has fascinated me for quite some time now. I would love to hear people talk about it if there's interest out there.

Do you think the English language that we speak give us privilege? What does it mean that the world tries to speak English? What does that do to writing, to poetry, in the English language as well as in the native language of the writer (if his/her first language is not English)?

Can you imagine that one day there might be but only one language in the world? Can that happen?

Asides from these issues, I am also into Post-Colonialism, which is undeniably related to the questions of the English language. Recently, I heard the news from Korea, I think, that they are setting up a new program that aims at producing future perfect English speakers in order for the country to become competitive. A while ago, I was teaching ESL at an elite language school (I quit already, yeah!) and it's amazing how this language slips into every single bit of the society--7 years old kids learning the language to foreign executives managing the school. What a world.

And of course, in this kinna world, poetry has so little room if not regarded as sweet and cute.