Tuesday, September 21, 2004

OF COURSE I'm reading, always.
Hello, members of the poetry world.
I have been thinking about Juliana's question all day yesterday...couldn't help myself. Similar to Meg's ideas, I have

Poetry: its ontology and beyond

(I wish I could come up with a nicely written course description as well. But my life right now is a race...so I hope the following will do.)

Basically, I hope we know more about poetry as a creation of the world. This could encompass so many aspects of it. (This could, obviously, use some serious narrowing dowm...) We could ask impossible question like how did the first poem in the world come about? Where? Why? We could set up things like time, culture, politics as factors and look at different poems of different origin. We could ask scary questions like how do we characterize an existence of a poem? How do we know that existence exists? (okey...I'm me...)

I guess what I am hoping this will achieve is that, as poets, we become as aware of our "work" as possible. (The question is how do we save ourselves from getting too lost in series of survey courses and no in-depth work.) While writing is of course something we do and and keep doing, we should not only be poets, but poetry historians, poetry researchers, poetry marketers, poetry attorneys, poetry chefs, poetry everything.

I'll say more about this when more comes to me.

Another class, which can be sticky to suggest, but I think it is something good and would truly be unique of Mills if happened. It's the combo of poetry workshop and a book art class. This means everything from basic skills to artistbooks and installation. Also, a great idea generator when in writer's block.