Monday, September 20, 2004

Did anyone go to dodie/eleni reading on sunday? If so, I would love to hear report. I was too spent after the mills retreat. I came home, fell asleep, and woke up at 8 pm and went oh no; I missed the reading. I hear a rumor that there is a story about the Mills program in Dodie's new book.

I took to the A's game the other day Dan Taulapapa McMullin's A Drag Queen Named Pipi which just came out on Tinfish. I highly recommed it. (order here: http://www.tinfishpress.com/) The book has the usual over the top and beautiful design of Tinfish. Color printing. Heavy paper. The poems are stunning. Especially "Jerry, Sheree and the Eel." The poems are mainly narrative but move into surrealism. They have that refusal to fall into school/genre that makes work coming out of the Pacific at times be so fresh. And, when not working, makes work out of the Pacific at moments just appear naive. But I find these poems all fresh.

Those new: Tinfish, like Zyzzyva, is good place to send work. Both are editors who read stuff and although they have their own prickly preferences, do a fair read. Both are centered on work from Pacific. I think Zyzzyva is west coast? And Tinfish is Pacific, with emphasis on Pacific basin but publishes work from the rim also. Tinfish is Hawai'i based. There is a lot of interesting work in the Pacific that shows up there that doesn't show up anywhere else. Big language issues in the Pidgin/Hawaiian/English juxtapositions and these show up in the work a lot. So even if you don't submit, I highly recommend putting it on your reading list. I'm trying to get the library to subscribe, but it isn't working so far. So for now, you'll have to order direct.