Sunday, June 20, 2004

Hey...it's been a while! It's good to see some blogs. Hope summer is going great for all. I have been busy with my post MFA life in Bangkok. So, so far, I have been attending a 10 day training, by the end of which I'll be hired as the language school's English instructional staff. I'm supposed to be absorbing their teaching principles. Which I am, but, I'm quite critical about them behind their backs...

The thing is, it's true that the best way to learn a language is to be in the country where the language is spoken, right? Absolutely right. From that come a lot of teaching principles. Cool still. But what I'm trying to figure out is to what extent is a "pretense" as such is helpful when one is actually NOT in the environment. I'm wondering what a formal instruction in the native language really does in language learning/acquisition. No answer yet. But something entertaining to keep thinking about.

Bottom line might me that I'm very weird when it comes to learning languages. As all of you know, I LOVE grammar, while this thing is supposed to be monstrous to the whole world. I love also French verbs. I think it trains my brain...

Anyway, teaching here is planned to be my part time "fun" work. I have an interview for the serious work coming...more soon.