Monday, February 16, 2004

some thoughts to toss in thought-pot:

-I wish I were as smart as Scott, but I'm not.

-Any bar is fine/dandy. If no one has objections to Scott's suggestion, I say we make it official. To minimize confusion. Can someone post where it is?

-I think a lot of these discussions are in some way hovering around what Kristin brought up about Ego. Individual poet-genius versus mouthpiece for community experience. This hasn't really been an issue for me in terms of poetry..yet. But now it is. It's an interesting dichotomy that plays out all over the place. I'm inclined to think Ego is okay for humans. I could say otherwise but I'd only be doing that because it sounds nicer.

-As to Padcha's question about the place of loftyphilosophy type issues in poetry. I wonder same thing. Anyone have ideas?

-I also wonder about the idea of Escapism. I forgot to write about this the other day and don't have the stamina for it now. But basically, Wallace Stevens admits that the ideas he develops basically come down to poetry as escapism. Which also brings me back to the Thom Yorke vs. Howard Zinn discussion re. artists + politics. Zinn says if your work isn't political then it's escapist, it's "entertainment." Like you're no better than Britney Spears. And Yorke says, "Yes it's escapist, but escapism isn't bad." And Stevens is on same page as Yorke. Weigh in!

-Dan said he was going to blog about the idea of poet-as-medium, channeler, but he hasn't. So do it! But in case you don't I'm throwing it out there. We talk a lot in workshop about plans and assembling of poems. "My ideal thesis would include a study of all the animals in my local zoo and also some quantum mechanics and some poems about Mexican bicycles." Or in class we're like, "Maybe you should add some language of gardening in here." But what if that whole idea of assembling/recipe making assumes all poems are written this way? What about idea of writing to find out what you're writing about? Of poet as transcriber of poem that comes from Out There?

-I didn't BARGE but Rodney Koeneke + Lyn Hejinian reading was great. I have been won over by the Koeneke. He was a great performer. We should all take acting classes before readings. I resolve to become more eloquent. Hejinian's poems were all cowboy narrativo about...sailing? Help.