Tuesday, February 24, 2004

miscellany

william sez: 'So now, I view the “project” as being most of the things said in class: subverting the “poetic” reading experience, expressing a purely suburban landscape, and more lately creating a poetic space through the reading that is unique because of its brevity, you can’t latch on to it necessarily. Most of all, I wanted to speak directly to the reader, having a communication that is “talk.” Yes, they are reactions against what I was writing last semester. I don’t know, maybe later I will try this again.'

This is really clear & I think you've achieved it for sure. I am not so clear on the Faerie Queene / "things don't happen" stuff. Are you talking about perception creating the reality, the lack of absolute truths, that kind of stuff? Throw a bone here.

As to Padcha's argument for philosophy earlier--you mention that you study philosophy because it promises you answers to Big Questions. I think I believe Howe when she writes that poetry must pick up where philosophy leaves off--because in my experience w/philosophy we always end up not really knowing what the hell is going on. In my experience, in the end, there aren't any logical answers to things. What's that Kristin line? "Now, we can build with hollow stones"??? Something like that. That's a good answer.

Regarding my poem fun suggestion, I solemnly swear not to be mean.

I'm in for Meg's idea but I don't know about the Renaissance..