Wednesday, February 25, 2004

I was gone for the weekend and came back to tons of admin work so I'm way behind on everything. And I think it is only going to get worse because I'm going to Seattle and Vancouver next week. (Thus, no class!)

Few thoughts to try and catch up...

I'm trying to read through the Joan Retallack book because I wanted to suggest some essays on which to concentrate but I don't think I'm going to make it through the book before class today. It is very good. Jessea might find it interesting because it answers that why write poetry question without the politics answer. Also lots on philosophical discussion that Padcha might find interesting. I might be able to do finish the book before I leave for the upper west coast and if I do I will make suggestions. But if not, try and find your way through the book. It is long but it is very good.

I called the bookstore and the book will be there tomorrow.

I like Prynne's work a great deal. I also love considering how exaggerated music is very deeply.

Question of poetic influence is interesting because I'm thinking about doing the craft class next semester around the issue of positive influence.

On Jessea's project idea... In graduate school, jena osman organized this project that got published as The Lab Book. I'm not sure I've got a copy of it anymore. But she had everyone write a poem and then everyone else responsed to everyone else's poem. I'm not sure it is the most interesting book in the world. So I guess the question would be, is there a way to make this so that everyone works together on something rather than just responding individually. Or I guess that would be my encouragement. To make it somehow more dialogic.

I have suggestions for writing in a trance.

William, it sounds like you might enjoy reading that by now classic Charles Bernstein essay, "Artifice of Absorption." Veronica Forrest Thompson (another English poet!) is also good on this issue.

If I get time today, I will try and add the Bernstein to the reserve list. The VFT is a book and too long to add. (I'm trying to build a series of articles that will stay on reserves for workshops semester after semester... let me know if you've got any ideas).

So far...

Commitment Adorno, Theodor W. ELECTRONIC RESOURCES -- -- ONLINE RESERVE Creative reading techniques Padgett, Ron ELECTRONIC RESOURCES -- -- ONLINE RESERVE
How are verses made Mayakovsky, Vladimir ELECTRONIC RESOURCES -- -- ONLINE RESERVE
Oulipo : a primer of potential literature / translated and ecited by Warren F. Motte, Jr. (no author)
Poems for the millennium : the University of California book of modern & postmodern poetry / edited
Poems for the millennium : the University of California book of modern & postmodern poetry / edited
The Princeton handbook of poetic terms / Alex Preminger, editor ; Frank J. Warnke and O.B. Hardison,
The Teachers & writers handbook of poetic forms / edited by Ron Padgett.

and, for this class in particular...
The midnight / Susan Howe. Howe, Susan, 1937- Reserve-Circulation Desk -- 811.54 H858m 2003
Nest / Mei-mei Berssenbrugge. Berssenbrugge, Mei-mei, 1947- Reserve-Circulation Desk -- 811.54 B53n 2003 --