Friday, February 27, 2004

I have some comments about Tran's in-class discussion, and it might be related to tour/ism.

When he talked about the Vietnam book, that he felt he was violating culture for the sake of poetry, I could very much identify with what that could mean. Now, to say what follows, I fully realize that where he stands is entirely different from mine (This US is his home; it's not mine. My home is the there; his isn't). But there are some similiarities, I think.

OK. First let me say this. The result of this visit, the book (which I haven't read; I am basing this on Tran's comment)--seems to resonate with Orientialism in a very distant way. It says something like "there's different culture; let's go learn from it." In the case of Oreintalism, there was this "missionary" (aka colonial) ideology to it. In Tran's case, the writer himself was aware of it. This very fact I think is intriquing. The book is a good example, I think, of bounced-back-Orientalism.

What works so beautifully in d&c I think is the sense of honesty, filtered through the work of writing. The sense of honesty is what I assume lacking in the other book. And this lack, I think, made he said what he said.

How one identifies with one's honesty (there's a different between being honest and being personal, I think) is unimaginably abstract. I'm not going to get there. But honesty is really really important to have exhibited in one's work.

Now, if alternative tours witinin one's community help build up that sense of honesty, I'd say go for it. If not, then don't.

BTW: Jessea, I'll blog for you what I have to say about your question if there are differences b/w traditional vs experimental work this weekend. Stay tuned. Going to bars brings very fun discussions!