Monday, January 26, 2004

Since Kristin and Jessea picked up on the idea of flow versus structure, why don’t I do too??? I agree with Kristin, finding balance is the difficult thing to do. But I think it is the thing to do. I liked it very much when writing just “flows.” Really, it’s great. But to me, in order for the writing to flow like that, it must have taken me days of thinking and re-thinking and re-thinking. Most of the time, I don’t even pay attention to those multiple thinking’s. It’s like being in a maze and once it flows you just get out of it and everything starts to fall into place.

Now. Thesis. OK—skip that. (since I already put my life on the line by handing in a copy to today!!) To say the least, my thesis contains six different series. To me, each of them is very different, visually, structurally, “subject-matter-ly.” So the question of uniformity concerns me a bit. But, when I think about it, uniformity is maybe the thing I lack most in my life anyway. So this might actually be good.

Some writing plans.
Having gone back home this winter break makes me think so much more about languages And I want to write something about it. Speaking two languages interchangeably, I am not bilingual, really. Through time, I just came to know English really well. There were times when my English wasn’t like this English to me (as opposed to my Thai, which has always been, and is, this Thai). My not-yet-focused idea right now is to look at my life as documenting the relationship between English, my native language, and me. This will be a chapbook length piece of poetic work, I hope. Partly, the fact that I now couldn’t really write as freely in Thai as I can in English still bugs me quite badly so this piece of writing might help me for that matter.

Now. I guess I am still in the maze trying to get out and let this flow!